The Legal service offers assistance and advice on an extensive range of legal issues and problems that schools can encounter including:
Parents and pupils
• Parental responsibility disputes as they affect schools
• Discipline and exemptions and exclusion of pupils
• Trespass, nuisance and assaults on staff
• Liability of staff on school trips
• Safety and welfare of pupils.
• Boundary and shared use agreement disputes
• Hire and letting agreements
• Nuisance and damage to property.
Personnel and employment issues
• Interpretation of employment law relating to terms and conditions
• Liability for and to employees.
Use of materials
• Data protection and freedom of information
• Musical and theatrical performances
• Patent and design
• Contract law in relation to purchase and supply agreements.
Policy issues (assuming no conflict of interest)
• LA powers and duties
• Support on curriculum management issues
• Financial management.